Among the several factors that affect how much energy you have throughout your day, your diet plays an essential role. The wrong kinds of foods will leave you feeling drained and exhausted causing your productivity and focus to suffer. On the flip side, good nutrition will give you a natural energy boost that you won’t find anywhere else. When it comes to healthy eating and high energy, there are certain foods that stand out above the rest. Here are 5 super foods that will keep your body from running on fumes.
- Bananas:If you’re looking for a quick, on the go snack that will give your body that extra boost of energy, look no further than a good old ripe banana. Bananas are an excellent source of natural sugar and fibre and contain carbs, vitamin B6 and all the essential nutrients that give you lasting energy to make it through your day. Bananas can be easy to grab as you’re walking out the door or you can add one into a smoothie, oatmeal or cereal for added flavor. No matter how you eat this simple snack, you’ll feel the effects of lasting energy all day long.
- Green Leafy Vegetables:When it comes to packing a high energy punch, the green leafy route is the way to go. Adding more green, leafy vegetables to your diet is a great way to unlock the energy you need to get through your day. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, arugula, and chard are packed full of vitamins and nutrients that help turn the food you eat into high energy fuel. These veggies are a great source of fiber, calcium, potassium and other antioxidants that protect your body and keep you going strong all day. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t just have to settle for salads when it comes to leafy greens. These superfood veggies can easily be added to any meal - sneak them into your eggs for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich at lunch or even a mid-afternoon smoothie as a snack. The more greens you add to your plate, the less you have to worry about running on fumes throughout your busy day.
- Nuts:When you need an on-the-go energy boost, look no further than a handful of these healthy nuts. Nuts are a great source of fiber and vitamins like A, E and B6 that pack a nutritional punch when it comes to healthy snacking. Certain kinds of nuts are known to lessen the risk of high blood pressure and cholesterol as well as a plethora of other health benefits. Almonds, pistachios, walnuts and macadamias are just a few of the nutty choices you have when it comes to boosting your energy and giving your palate a tasty treat. The great thing is, you can eat a handful of nuts as a stand-alone snack or add some pizazz and flavor to a family dinner. Remember to eat plain, unsalted nuts so as not to end up with water retention!
- Oranges:Famously known to be a huge source of vitamin C, oranges can also be added to the list of superfoods that keep your energy levels from bottoming out. According to the National Library of Medicine, oranges are also known to contain compounds that protect and battle against oxidative stress which can cause you feelings of fatigue and exhaustion. You can easily add oranges into your day as an on the go snack or use them as a tasty addition to salads, smoothies, desserts, or larger family meals.
- Avocados:High in healthy fats, this unique superfood is considered to be a great source of energy that will keep you running at full capacity all day long. In addition to that, research through the National Library of Medicine shows that avocados are known to promote heart and eye health as well as lowered cholesterol and possible cancer prevention. Avocados are super easy to add into your daily diet – simply add to a slice of toast or smoothie in the morning or as an addition to a mid-day salad. When it comes to higher energy and better nutrition, you can’t go wrong with this powerful super fruit. I personally love to cut one in half and eat it with sriracha sauce😊
If you want a source of lasting energy that will help get you through the day, good nutrition is a must! Packaged foods often lead to a high or spurt of energy, followed by an energy crash. I know Ben & Jerry’s is delicious and the sugar will give you an instant energy spike, but once it’s worn off you will feel more tired than before you indulged. These are just a few of the many superfoods that will help sustain you and keep you from running on fumes by the end of a long day.